Intel CEO Brian Krzanich does an Ask Me Anything on Reddit and has some great, honest answers. Some of the issues he addressed started before his tenure, but kudos to him for participating.
“To some of you, this will be the most obvious thing in the world. But I know a lot of people are like myself and almost always have their phones set to silent. And we’re all missing a big component of many apps and the overall mobile experience.”
We’re going to be returning to just one, universal version of Clear for iOS, with the original version of Clear gaining iPad support. If you already own a copy of Clear, you don’t need to do anything as we’ve just launched an updated version of Clear with iPad support.
As Apple doesn’t offer a way to migrate users between copies of an app, we’re going to make Clear free for 24 hours so owners of Clear+ can move to the correct version free of charge.
Although I applaud Realmac for being customer-focused, I also hope this doesn’t become a trend of grumpy users complaining about a paid update every now and then and a company changing course. It also shows the inflexibility of the App Store once again, but that’s nothing new.
Ben Bajarin (via Jim Dalrymple):
Not long after my dad called me this same Apple exec demonstrated the iPhone to a number of national and international TV networks. Guess whose cell phone number was on the screen while he did the demo? If you guessed mine you are correct. Not only did my cell phone number make the news, still pictures of that iPhone with my cell phone number on it hit the pages of most major newspapers the next day. Guess what happened in the days following? I got a minimum of 1500 calls a day for about a week.
Last week, we featured a review of CoolStream’s Portable Bluetooth Speaker. CoolStream thought it would be nice to share the experience with one of our fans, so they are giving one of these speakers away. In order to be eligible for this giveaway, you must meet the following:
- Be a U.S. resident in the lower 48 states (sorry, Alaska & Hawaii)
- Be following us on Twitter or liking on Facebook before February 17, 2014.
- Tweet mentioning @schwarztech or post to our Facebook page’s timeline an item with #ST15SpeakerGiveaway
That’s it—we’ll draw someone randomly on the February 17 and someone from CoolStream will be in touch. Void where prohibited, contest subject to change.
Dave Mark takes NBC News to task on The Loop:
Again, I’d really like to know more. Did they leave both computers in their default state? Did they enable any firewall or take any steps to protect the computers? Were the computers purposely made easy to penetrate?
I watched the video that was embedded at the end and also wanted to know more of the why and how of the Five Ws of journalism. More importantly, if devices are that vulnerable over there, why not in other countries?
Update: Iain Thomson of The Register explains a bit more on the story:
But, as [Trend Micro's senior researcher Kyle] Wilhoit later admitted on Twitter, there was more than a little intentional fear, uncertainty, and doubt (FUD) added to the report – or as he described it “part of the ‘tv magic’”.
For a start, the coffee-break hacking of the smartphone wasn’t uninitiated, he said, meaning the user had to actively download unknown software. Wilhoit said the attack was an .apk dropped from browsing to a .RU Sochi-themed website that the user had to agree to install.
As for the computers, Wilhoit recounts that they were fresh out of the box and appear to have been put online with no attempt to download the latest OS updates, no security software of any kind, and unpatched versions of Java, Flash, Adobe PDF Reader, and Microsoft Office 2007.